Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Long lost son?

As I mentioned, we had no intentions, had never discussed the possibility of adopting. I've always loved the idea of it, in theory, and I knew I could love an adopted child as much as my own, but knew Dave wasn't open to the idea. Then a few weeks ago, a friend posted another friend's blog on FB. I don't usually read blogs, just not my thing (and I'm sure you're thinking "writing one isn't your thing either. True, I agree. But let's suffer through it together to the happy ending!! lol) So, don't know why I clicked on this one to read it, but I did. It was a blog about a young man in EE who was nearing the age limit for adopting. U.S. law doesn't allow foreign adoptions of anyone over the age of 16. I started reading, and it concerned me, but in the way it does when you are reading about someone else's child.

But then I saw his picture. What was my son doing on that page? That was the immediate reaction I got. At the same time this emotion was jumping out, the other side of my brain said where did that come from? I couldn't take my eyes off him. He looks enough like my middle daughter that they could be twins, except for the eye color. (we have 4 kids now. Birth kids, is that the term? I dunno.) I knew there was NO way Dave would ever go for it, but I couldn't get him off my mind. The more I prayed about it,the more convinced I was that he was OUR kid. If it hasn't happened to you, you probably won't fully understand that, so just take my word for it. I finally prayed and asked God if it was meant to be, if He wanted us to do this, He would soften Dave's heart towards it. Amazingly enough, that's just what happened. We discussed it for a long time that night, and he brought up legitimate concerns that we had to work out. He's the realist, who has to bring me down from the clouds most of the time. But he knew this was different. Then we were told since we didn't have a homestudy and I-600a completed (aka "paper ready"), there wasn't a chance of getting him in time. Broke.My.Heart. The more posts I saw about him, the more I cried. One night I was reading her blog, she had a new post about him and another older boy, and I just bawled. My 16 year old daughter sat hugging me letting me cry it out, I felt like my child had been ripped away from me. That was on a Tuesday night. On Wednesday night, I got a call from a dear friend. C asked if I had seen the blog that afternoon, and gave me a quick update on what it said. There was still time!! And even more amazing, her friend T, who I had never met before in my life, wanted to donate a significant amount of money to help. I was in shock!!! So I spent the next several days finding an agency who would be able to do an expedited home study. And finally did, and we are on our way. But there's more...

No comments:

Post a Comment