Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

An orphan, a verse, and a recipe (Turkey Piccata)

Since it's obvious my blog has an identity crisis ( I don't always have one exact theme in mind for my blog, not that you would have noticed that, of course not), I may as well just embrace it. So, for today, here's three things that I love. Orphans, the Bible, and food! (Not necessarily in that order, but I have to make you wait for the food to make sure you read all of it. Yeah, I'm sneaky that way. But be warned. I am no professional in the kitchen. Unless hamburger helper counts.  This is not the work of one of those super foodie bloggers who create amazing dishes.)

First, the orphan (or in today's case, two!) As I've mentioned several times before, I can't wait to see Bernadette and Mason home! Their family is very special to me, and they will be traveling soon. Let's help get them funded. If you can spare $5, it will make a huge difference to them.I have 74 followers (not that everyone reads every day, but if each one could give $5, that would be $370. That would be enough for their meals for a couple of weeks while they are there! Or a week's worth of lodging. It makes a difference, it really does. How cute are they?


Verse for today: Galatians 6:10
Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially those who belong to the family of believers.
As Christians, we have a responsibility to everyone around us, but most importantly to our Christian family. it's sad to hear of a Christian who feels ignored in their time of need by the very ones who should be holding them up and helping. Are you looking out for your fellow brethren?

And finally, the recipe. Are you still with me? Good, cause it's worth it!! I've never fixed turkey piccata before, never actually knew what it was before. But I was looking through a cookbook yesterday I borrowed from my mom. It was one of Southern Living's annual cookbooks (2011 maybe?) and the recipe jumped out at me. I had some boneless turkey breast in the freezer, so I thawed it out and decided to try it. Simply put, it's turkey cutlets in a sweet sauce that will make you want it for dessert too. I've never been a fan of meat and sweet sauces/fruit juices before. I'm a believer now! Here is the picture from Southern Living (because by the time I made it, I was too hungry to stop and take pics!) and the link to one version of their recipe. I'll explain how I did it a little different. Don't let those little green things throw you off (they are capers and I left them out!)


Turkey piccata (my version)

1 lb of turkey cutlets
1 lemon, divided
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper (ok I'm guessing, I just shook some of both in there, I never measure that stuff. Add it until it looks like what you want.)
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup white wine or apple juice

Pound turkey cutlets out really flat and thin. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon over the cutlets while the butter is melting in your skillet. Mix together the flour, paprika and pepper. Dredge the cutlets in this and then brown in skillet, a few minutes on each side until done. Remove from the pan and keep warm. In the pan, add the wine or apple juice and the juice from the other half of the lemon. Bring to a boil (especially if you are using wine, let the alcohol burn off. Don't want the kids getting tipsy on supper! Although they may would sleep better. No no bad idea! Where was I?) Scrape up all the yummy bits of stuff in the pan and stir it all together. Pour sauce over the turkey cutlets. YUMMY!!!

Like I said, the original recipe called for adding capers. What is a caper?? Obviously I am no gourmet cook.If I don't know what an ingredient is or I don't have it on hand, I leave it out. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. And please, all you who know what capers is and how they are essential to turkey piccata, duly noted. It was good, and we ate it.

My hubby is notorious for not liking turkey, or chicken, to the point that we have to fix ham also at Thanksgiving just so he will have some type of meat to eat. Yes, he's that spoiled. Blame his mom. And me. I handed him his plate (turkey cut up, some Stove Top and green beans, told you he was spoiled.) and he left to go eat in front of the tv. He was back, five minutes later, with an empty plate. I asked how he liked it. Standing behind me he said "that was nasty". My youngest, A, started laughing and said "he's lying!". He laughed and said "yeah, that was GOOD!!". If he likes it, it's a winner. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That blame game should go back to Mamaw M...lol and I did WARN ya!

    ReplyDelete